Sometimes, it happens that your Netgear extender stops fetching the latest updates for its firmware. This results in performance or network related issues as there are some bugs and errors available in the existing version of the firmware. In order to perform the updates manually, we have come up with the steps in this blog post. You must read the steps carefully.
Netgear keeps on releasing the firmware updates for its extender to improve the performance, security and add new features. In order to get these features on your extender, the firmware update is required. If you have not done the Netgear Wifi Extender Setup yet, then first perform the setup, then proceed further.
Steps to update the firmware are:
- The extender must be connected to the router’s Wi-Fi.
- Connect to the extender’s wi-fi network.
- Go to the ‘Netgear page’.
- Enter the model number of your extender along with the device name and press ‘Enter’.
- Tap ‘Downloads’.
- Once the firmware version is found out, click to start downloading it.
- Sometimes, the file is saved as a Zip folder. Unzip it when required.
- Open a web browser and enter ‘Mywifiext.net’.
- You will find the www mywifiext net setup page appear on the screen. Here, you need to enter the username and password in the given fields. If you are doing login for the first time, then enter ‘Admin’ and ‘Password’ in the given fields.
- The current status of the extender will be displayed on the screen.
- After entering into the main dashboard, click on ‘Firmware update’.
- Tap ‘Browser’ and search for the file type .img or .ckk. This is an extension ofthe firmware file.
- Tap the ‘Upload’ button.
- The update process will be initiated. The extender restarts many times during the updating process. It will take around 5-10 minutes for the update process to get completed.
When the update process is successfully done, don’t try using the extender at once. First, turn it off and shut down the PC as well. Wait for 5 minutes, then turn on the extender again. Now, start connecting the wireless devices to the extender. If you come across any problem during the update process, don’t hesitate to contact the customer support team available 24×7. You can share your queries even on the email. The team will revert instantly.